Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Clearing Windows network passwords.

I have recently found problems with my Visual Source Safe 2005 (VSS) solution bindings breaking in Visual Studio .NET 2005 (VS2005). On two occassions in the last week I have encountered "Invalid Handle" errors when trying to check-in my solutions.

The invalid handle error is due to the VSS bindings. The solution has been to restablish the bindings, however, this was hampered by the root problem ;) Somehow a bad password was saved, and the connection to the VSS server could not be established. So, the corrupt credentials must be removed.

To do this, I found James Geurts' Blog on 'Clear saved windows networking passwords' where he supplies the following:

Start>Run>rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

The same dialog can be opened via:

Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Advanced Tab>Manage Passwords

I prefer the latter option as it is easier to remember and find again ;)

(James Geurts' Blog http://biasecurities.com/blogs/jim/archive/2005/12/20/3876.aspx)

No comments: